Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1992

Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1992

Appearance: Deep brick-red
Nose: Lovely dark berry-fruitiness
Palate: Medium-bodied, assertive tannic backbone to ensure many years of maturation potential.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ]
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : 
analysis : alc : 12.1 % vol  rs : 2.6 g/l  pH : 3.4  ta : 5.7 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry  
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

in the vineyard : The grapes for the wine were derived from a 20 hectare vineyard, planted in 1974 at 3 704 vines per hectare, and at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy.

Rainfall during the winter preceding the vintage year was higher than average. The ripening season (December 1991 - March 1992) was also wetter than usual. The vines were not irrigated and the yield limited to 8,1 tons per hectare.

about the harvest: The harvest took place from 24 March - 9 April 1992. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 22,5 ┬░Balling - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given six days' skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 23┬░ C. Secondary malolactic was completed on 25 March. 20% of the wine was matured in small new French oak for 17 months and the remaining 80% in third-fill oak, also for 17 months. The wine was bottled in February 1995.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon