Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1984

Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1984

Appearance: Almost opaque. Black, plum purple.
Nose: Lovely dark berry-fruitiness
Palate: Rich wine with soft tannins.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ]
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : 
analysis : alc : 12.02 % vol  rs : 2.6 g/l  pH : 3.47  ta : 5.7 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry  
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

in the vineyard : The grapes for the wine were derived from a 20 hectare vineyard, planted in 1974 at 3 704 vines per hectare, and at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy.

Although the winter preceding the vintage was normal, the summer was dry. As a result, the rainfall for the vintage year was around 100 mm lower than the average of 725 mm. The vines were not irrigated and the yield limited to 4,35 tons per hectare.

about the harvest: Harvesting took place between 19March – to 21 March 1984. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 22.9 °Balling - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given seven days' skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 22° C. Secondary malolactic was completed on 7 May 1984. 70% of the wine was matured in small new French oak for 22 months and the remaining 30% in second-fill oak, also for 22 months. The wine was bottled in March 1986.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon