Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Bronze - International Wine and Sprirt Competition (IWSC) 2005
Appearance: Deep ruby-red.
Nose: Intense dark cherry and blackberry flavours.
Palate: Medium-bodied, luscious fruit and subtle tannins with a lingering aftertaste.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ]
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : Devon Valley
analysis : alc : 13.9 % vol  pH : 3.71  ta : 6.4 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry  body : Full  taste : Fruity   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS

Bronze - International Wine and Sprirt Competition (IWSC) 2005

in the vineyard : The grapes for this wine were derived from a 24 hectare vineyard, planted in 1977 and 1990 at 3 704 vines per hectare, and at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy. The rainfall during the winter before the vintage, as well as the growing season (September – December) was lower than the long term figures. The annual rainfall was 520 mm for the 2000/2001 season compared to the long-term annual average of 700 mm.

about the harvest: The harvest took place on 12 March 2001. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 24° Balling - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given 7 days’ skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 26° C. Secondary malolactic fermentation was completed on 26 April 2001. The wine was matured for 26 months – 75% in new French oak and the remaining 25% in American oak

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon