Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Deep ruby-red. Intense dark cherry and blackberry flavours, medium-bodied, luscious fruit and subtle tannins with a lingering aftertaste.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ]
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : Devon Valley
analysis : alc : 13.8 % vol  pH : 3.68  ta : 5.9 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

in the vineyard : The grapes for the wine were derived from a 24 hectare vineyard, planted in 1977 and 1990 at 3 704 vines per hectare, and at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy.
The rainfall during the winter before the vintage, as well as the growing season (September – December) was lower than the long term figures. The annual rainfall was 679 mm for the 1999 / 2000 season compared to the long-term annual average of 734 mm.

about the harvest: The harvest took place between 24 March and28 March 2000. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 24,5° Balling - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given four days’ skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 25° C. Secondary malolactic fermentation was completed on 16 April 2000.
The wine was matured for 24 months in oak – 20% in new small French oak and the remaining 80% in second fill French oak barrels.
The wine was bottled on 13 January 2003.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon