Lanzerac Premium Chardonnay 2019

Lanzerac Premium Chardonnay 2019

This full-bodied Chardonnay showcases prominent primary citrus aromas on the nose followed by a complexity of flavours including lemon, clover, ginger and vanilla. The palate reveals an excellent balance between fruit, acidity and softness with a lingering aftertaste.

Partner this elegant Chardonnay with brown-butter crayfish risotto, chicken tagine with apricots and almonds or a crème brûlée with orange blossom mascarpone.

variety : Chardonnay [ 100% Chardonnay ]
winemaker : Wynand Lategan
wine of origin : Jonkershoek Valley
analysis : alc : 14.095 % vol  rs : 3.0 g/l  pH : 3.38  ta : 5.6 g/l  
type : White  style : Dry  body : Medium  taste : Fruity   wooded
pack : Bottle  size : 750ml  closure : Cork  

ageing : Drink now to 2022.

in the vineyard : The Lanzerac Chardonnay 2019 was sourced from nine different vineyard blocks, D5, L1, L2, L3, L11, L12, J2, J7 and KL from Lanzerac, Jonkersdrift and Klein Lanzerac in the Jonkershoek Valley. The age from the different vineyard blocks range from 5 to 24 years old and consist of different clones to add complexity to the wine. The blocks are mainly from deep sandy soils and cover an area of 10.82 hectares. The yield for the 2019 vintage was 6.96 tons/hectare. The 9 blocks sit at an altitude of 166m - 375 meters above sea level. All pruning and harvesting are done by hand to ensure that only healthy and fully ripe grapes reach the cellar.

about the harvest: End of January to middle February 2019.
The grapes were handpicked.

in the cellar : The grapes were handpicked and transported to the cellar in bins where the grape bunches were hand sorted before destemmend and crush. The mash is cooled by a mash cooler to approximately 15╦ÜCelsius before pressing. The pressed Chardonnay juice is then allowed 48 hours to settle before the clear juice is racked of the lees. Most (70%) of the Chardonnay was fermented in 300 litre Burgundy styled oak barrels, whilst the rest (30%) was fermented in stainless steel tanks. A combination of new, 2nd, 3rd and 4th fill barrels were used to ensure the best preservation of fruit. Each vineyard block is treated differently with different yeast regimes and fermentation. After fermentation the Chardonnay in the barrels is left on the lees and batonage is done every week for 7-8 months. After approximately 7 months the Chardonnay is blended and prepared for bottling.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale