Steenberg "Lady R" Methode Cap Classique 2010 - SOLD OUT

Steenberg "Lady R" Methode Cap Classique 2010 - SOLD OUT

The 2010 Lady R is white gold in colour with a beautiful copper hue which can be attributed to the 60% of Pinot Noir in the blend. On the nose it exudes freshness showing crisp red apple and acacia blossom accompanied by a mineral edge. The chalkiness carries on to the palate where one finds a complex wine with bright acidity intermingled with notes of honeycomb and brioche. Lady R’s effervescence shows finesse with elegantly fine bubbles that contribute to the overall texture of the wine. It is seriously structured and shows elegance and beautiful ageing ability.

variety : Pinot Noir [ 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay ]
winemaker : JD Pretorius
wine of origin : Stellenbosch
analysis : alc : 11.5 % vol  rs : 4.0 g/l  pH : 3.25  ta : 6.5 g/l  
pack : Bottle  size : 750ml  closure : Cork  

in the vineyard : Cultivar: Pinot Noir / Chardonnay
Harvested: January 2010
Soil type: Decomposed Granite
Trellising: 4 wire Perold
Age of vines: 16 - 22 years
Pruning: Spur - 2 bud
Rootstock: Richter 99

about the harvest: Yield: 6.4 - 9.7 ton/ha

in the cellar : Our 2010 Cuvee, the Steenberg Lady R, is made in the traditional French method of second fermentation in the bottle and is designated Méthode Cap Classique. The grapes were hand-picked at low sugar levels of 18.5 - 19°B and whole bunch pressed to extract the juice as gently as possible.

The juice of both the Pinot Noir and the Chardonnay components is low in phenols and high in natural acidity. The juice ferments with a strong yeast strain to form the base wine of the MCC. The Pinot Noir base wine has a delicate light pink colour with a fine strawberry flavour and makes up 60% of the blend. The remaining 40% is made up of barrel-fermented Chardonnay - fermentation takes place in old 600L French oak casks.

Once the base wine is stabilised, it is fermented a second time in the bottle with a crown cap. This second fermentation creates the bubbles (or mousse) of the MCC. Post fermentation, the wine is aged on its yeast lees for 55 months before disgorgement in April 2015.

Production: 500 X 6 Cases

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Join our shop community

for the latest wine releases, awards and offers

Subscribe Now