KWV The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2013

KWV The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2013

A true reflection of a great Chenin Blanc, this is a wine resplendent with intense flavours of honey blossom, peach and nougat supported by notes of lemon zest and citrus. It is truly a polished creation. The structured and focussed palate is complemented by pure fruit and raw almonds with a refined and lingering finish.

Although this wine can be enjoyed on its own, it will pair well with vegetable dishes, rich fish or cream-based chicken entrées.

variety : Chenin Blanc [ 100% Chenin Blanc ]
winery : The Mentors
winemaker : The Winemaking Team
wine of origin : Coastal Region
analysis : alc : 13.94 % vol  rs : 4.17 g/l  pH : 3.25  ta : 7.0 g/l  
type : White  style : Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  size : 0  closure : Cork  

ageing : The wine may be enjoyed immediately or cellared for the next two to four years.

This is a blend of Chenin blanc from Paarl and Swartland, regions that produce very richly flavoured white varieties. In fact, Chenin seems better suited to regions such as these than the cooler regions. We first produced Chenin under the KWV The Mentors label in 2006; then again in 2008, 2012 and 2013. Looking at these wines today it is very apparent there has been significant stylistic evolution in our winemaking and interpretation of the Chenin style. Chenin blanc is a noble grape variety with its spiritual home in Loire. Whilst in some part inspired by these wines, we have found our niche producing a very complex version, but with finesse good structure and the influence of a lovely fresh acidity. The KWV The Mentors range is inspired by terroir. This wine was produced from a combination of low yielding, very old bush vines and some conventionally trellised - both ideally suited to the Paarl and Swartland regions.

in the vineyard : 
The winter preceding the 2013 vintage was characterized by plenty of cold spells and good, saturating rains, which ensured strong, even budding and replenished soil moisture. With the arrival of spring, cool to moderate temperatures reduced vigour and encouraged higher quality in the grapes. Slower, consistent growth persisted through the early summer thanks to dryer conditions, which kept diseases at bay. The uncharacteristic, supplementary rainfall during mid to late summer raised soil moisture levels and slightly extended the vintage and ripening period. Overall, the season delivered fruit with concentration, structure and flavour.

Vineyards: 62.5% Paarl, 27.5% Swartland, 10% Stellenbosch

in the cellar : 

Wine making: This wine is a blend of four components. Three were fermented in barrel; the first 35% fermented with an indigenous yeast strain to enhance the texture and mouth feel of the wine. The other 65% was inoculated with a specially selected commercial yeast strain to ensure maximum cultivar-derived fruit flavours. The wine was left on extended lees contact for 100 days after fermentation and stirred regularly during this period. Thereafter the wine was racked and placed back into barrel for another three months. The fourth component, making up 20% of the final blend, is a tank fermented Chenin blanc. This was added to the blend to enhance freshness, minerality and overall complexity.

Maturation The wine was matured for six months in 500L second and third-fill barrels.
Total production: 2 780L
Bottling date: December 2013

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc

Join our shop community

for the latest wine releases, awards and offers

Subscribe Now