Elgin Vintners Chardonnay 2011

Elgin Vintners Chardonnay 2011

The 2011 Chardonnay reveals intriguing yet assertive aromas of steamed quince, white pear oatmeal, lemon curd with hints of nutmeg and honeycomb. The palate has a seductively smooth entry, quickly revealing a captivating minerality and layered, textured complexity which is enhanced by the subtlest expression of wood. It is a wine with impressive poise and balance with an enduring finish that lingers for a very long time.


variety : Chardonnay [ 100% Chardonnay ]
winery : Elgin Vintners
winemaker : Kevin Grant
wine of origin : Elgin
analysis : alc : 13.71 % vol  rs : 1.7 g/l  pH : 3.55  ta : 6.3 g/l  
type : White  style : Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  size : 750ml  closure : Screwcap  

AWARDS

2012 Silver International Wine and Spirit Competition - Silver Outstanding 
2013 International Wine Challenge - Silver Medal
2011 International Wine Challenge - Silver Medal

ageing : Although drinking exceptionally well at present, it has all the hallmarks and pedigree to reward careful and patient maturation.

in the vineyard : Soil Type: The Glenrosa soils of Elgin Orchards.
Viticulture: VSP trained from Clone CY95 and CY96.

about the harvest: Harvested in the early morning of the 10th March 2011 at an optimal ripeness of 23°C.

in the cellar : 

Grapes were destalked, crushed and pressed off to a settling tank where the juice was allowed to settle at 10°C for 48 hours. Thereafter, the clear juice was racked off the settled lees directly into French 228 lit barriques. Here, 90% of the barrels were individually inoculated with either DV 10 or Vin 13 commercial yeast strains with spontaneous fermentation allowed in the remaining 10%.

Fermentation temperatures peaked at 26°C. On completion of fermentation, the wine was barrel aged for a further 10 months during which time 30% of the barrels completed MLF. The remaining barrels were prevented from undergoing MLF. This winemaking technique is employed in order to ensure a lively, zesty acidity in the finished wine. Gentle fortnightly battonage was undertaken throughout the maturation period before the wine was finally bottled in mid-November 2011.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay