Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

Appearance: Plum, ruby, purple, deep.
Nose: Lovely dark berry-fruitiness.
Palate: Well balanced, good tannin structure and lots of black currant fruit.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ]
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : 
analysis : alc : 12.5 % vol  rs : 2.6 g/l  pH : 3.65  ta : 5.7 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry  
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

in the vineyard : The grapes for the wine were derived from a 20 hectare vineyard, planted in 1974 at 3 704 vines per hectare, at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy.

Rainfall during the winter preceding the vintage year was higher than average and the ripening season was also wetter than usual. The vines were not irrigated and the yield limited to 5,7 tons per hectare.

about the harvest: Harvesting took place during April 1983. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 23,5° B - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given six days' skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 26° C. Secondary malolactic was completed on 16 May 1983. 70% of the wine was matured in small new French oak for 22 months and the remaining 30% in second-fill oak, also for 22 months. The wine was bottled in June 1985.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon