R134
per bottle
38474 Fable Mountain Vineyards Jackal Bird 2013 6682 540
R for 6 bottle(s)
Fable Mountain Vineyards Jackal Bird 2013
Producer | Fable Mountain Vineyards
Winemaker | Rebecca Tanner
Main Variety | Chenin Blanc
Appellation | Western Cape
Technical Analysis | Alcohol 13.42 | pH 3.3 | RS 2.7 | TA 5.0 | TSO2 116 | FSO2 21
Type | White
Style | Dry  -  
Taste | Fruity

Accolades


2013 Vintage 95/100 Tim Atkins Report 2014
2013 Vintage 4½ Platter’s SA Wine3 Vintage 95/100 Tim Atkins Report 2014
2012 Vintage 5 Star Platter’s SA Wines 2014

Tasting Notes

It is pale straw in colour. On the nose there are inviting and intriguing floral aromas mingling with honey, white peach, pear and citrus. On the palate crisp minerality and stone fruit show with pithy textural core. The finish is subtle and lingering, fresh and elegant with unravelling layers.

Ageing Potential

Drink now or cellar for 5 to 10 years.

Blend Information

41% Chenin Blanc, 18% Grenache Blanc, 17% Chardonnay, 14% Viognier, 10% Roussanne

In The Cellar


This wine is essentially a winemakers wine, as it is all about the blend but vineyards sites are important and we source our grapes from areas where each variety grows best.

We not only get different components for the blend because of the different characteristics of the cultivars and sites but also from the winemaking techniques in the cellar.

We use oxidative and reductive approaches, cold soak skin contact, and solids and clean ferments. No yeasts are ever added to any ferment and the wines spend the majority of the year on their lees.

We also use a variety of vessels: 500l Oak barrels, Nomblot concrete egg tanks and some stainless steel. We aim for a fruit driven wine , that is supported by a more savoury solids and skin contact carrier as well as a little oak and lots of complexity.

Maturation: 12 months on lees. 70% fermented and matured in 500l Oak barrel, remaining 30% is fermented and aged in concrete eggs.

Additional Information

Named after a bird of prey that can often be seen catching the thermals high above the Fable farm, the Jackal Bird is a wine that uses the famous South African old vine Chenin Blanc as a foundation and augments it with aromatic and textural Southern Rhône cultivars.

Listen to Fable Mountain Vineyards Jackal Bird 2013 On Michael Olivier Talking Wine 26.07.2016

Prices and availability are subject to change - E&OE     |     liquor licence WCP/040589
You must be older than 18 to order wine