buy wine online and get it delivered to your door with delivery included

R1197 for 6 bottles

R200 each
The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2020

The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2020

This is a wine resplendent with aromas of ripe mango, apricot and sweet peaches. The creamy and textured palate shows hints of zesty lime, with good length and minerality. Some floral notes gives it a rich and fresh flavour.

Although this wine can be enjoyed on its own, it will pair well with vegetable dishes, rich fish or cream-based chicken entrées.

variety : Chenin Blanc [ 100% Chenin Blanc ]
winery : The Mentors
winemaker : The Winemaking Team
wine of origin : Swartland
analysis : alc : 14.07 % vol  rs : 2.72 g/l  pH : 3.26  ta : 6.91 g/l  
type : White  style : Dry  taste : Fragrant   wooded
pack : Bottle  size : 750ml  closure : Screwcap  

ageing : 

The wine may be enjoyed immediately or cellared for up to five years.

This is a Chenin blanc from the Swartland region, produced from one old vine block, which produces a very rich-flavoured wine. In fact, Chenin blanc seems better suited to regions such as this than cooler alternatives. We first produced Chenin blanc wine under the KWV The Mentors label in 2006. Looking at previous vintages today, the significant stylistic evolution in our winemaking and interpretation of the Chenin blanc style is very apparent Chenin blanc is a noble grape variety with its spiritual home being the Loire region of central France. Whilst in some part inspired by these wines, we have found our niche producing a very complex version, but with finesse, good structure and the influence of a lovely fresh acidity. The KWV The Mentors range is inspired by terroir and this wine was produced from a low yielding, very old bush vines that is ideally suited to the Swartland region.

in the vineyard : 

The 2020 vintage was characterized by generally favourable conditions, improved winter rainfall preceding the growing season and generally mild conditions. This resulted in improved crops in particular in the coastal areas or Swartland, Wellington, Paarl and Stellenbosch. The vintage period was lower in disease pressure than the 2019 vintage but some rainfall during vintage did require careful management. The spring period was unusually warm prompting early bud break and accelerated early growth while, the summer through vintage was mild in terms of temperature with fewer peaks or periods of high temperature. This resulted in an early vintage start and a compressed February finishing earlier than in recent years. Wines show great retention of freshness and flavour with good tannin development and aging potential. We are hugely excited about the quality of the 2020 Vintage.

in the cellar : 

This wine is a blend of two components. Both were fermented in barrel with 40% being indigenous yeast strain to enhance the texture and mouth-feel of the wine. The remainder of 60% was inoculated with a specially selected commercial yeast strain to ensure optimal cultivar-derived fruit flavours. The wine was left on extended lees contact for 270 days after fermentation and stirred regularly during this period.

The complete wine volume was matured for nine months, in 500L first, second and third-fill barrels.

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc