Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017

Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017

Ripe tropical aromas of mango, pineapple and papaya are lifted by a crisp, refreshing apple note. The palate is defined by a delicious fine mineral texture leading onto a succulent mid-palate. The final impression is one of a full flavoured, yet precisely poised Chenin Blanc.


variety : Chenin Blanc [ 100% Chenin Blanc ]
winemaker : Adam Mason
wine of origin : Western Cape
analysis : alc : 13.5 % vol  rs : 2.3 g/l  pH : 3.61  ta : 5.3 g/l  so2 : 109 mg/l  fso2 : 22 mg/l  
type : White  style : Dry  taste : Mineral   wooded
pack : Bottle  size : 750ml  closure : Screwcap  

AWARDS

2017 Vintage Standard Bank, Chenin Blanc Top 10 Challenge 2018 winner!
2016 Vintage 3 stars Platter’s SA Wines
2015 Vintage 88/100 Wine Advocate (USA)
2014 Vintage 4 stars Platter’s SA Wines
2014 vintage 90/100 Tim Atkins Report 2015 (UK)
2013 Vintage 4 stars Platter’s SA Wines
2012 Vintage 4 stars Platter’s SA Wines

Thanks to our ongoing relationship with our dedicated team of grape growers, we were again able to source amazing quality grapes in addition to our own block. Darling, Elgin, Faure and Bottelary accounted for the areas outside of our own Polkadraai ward. Picking decisions centred around ensuring grapes were harvested with both high acidity and optimal flavour ripeness, difficult in a year such as 2016 due to the very hot, dry and therefore heat-stressed conditions. Nonetheless, we managed to schedule our picking to almost perfection, and vinification was a simple affair of pressing, settling and fermenting the juice in barrel and tank.

in the vineyard : Sourced from mature vines grown predominantly in Stellenbosch, with one component being grown in Darling. This is a great example of richly flavoured Chenin Blanc from an excellent vintage. It has wonderful ripeness yet retains freshness and vibrancy from the first nose right through to the lasting finish.

in the cellar : The 2017 is a blend of 72% tank fermented; the remaining 28% was also fermented in tank, but drawn down to barrels after fermentation for maturation. The barrels were split 50/50 between 2nd and 3rd fill. Vineyards comprising the blend are 85% Stellenbosch and 15% Darling origin. 60% of the blend is from vines older than 30 years and the remainder older than 20 years.

Barrel Ageing: Six months in 2nd and 3rd fill barrels

OTHER VINTAGES - not for sale

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc